“South Park” Chef Bigotry Nerve Finally Stimulated
I never watched South Park, and I never will. Yet this article captured my interest and does a fair job outlining Hayes beef with South Park which is that the show does “ridicule…religious communities.”
I think it interesting to note that Hayes never had a problem with South Parks treatment of relgions, which is irreverent defamation cloaked as satire, until his own religion was targeted. That is to say, his “bigotry” nerve was only stimulated when his religion was misrepresented and ridiculed by Sourth Park.
Good for Hayes! Better late than never.
- “South Park” Chef Loses Voice Isaac Hayes
- Isaac Hayes…issued a statement Monday indicating that he has requested to be released from his contract due to what he called the show’s “inappropriate ridicule of religious communities.”
- Hayes continued, “There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins,” the soul legend said. “Religious beliefs are sacred to people and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices.”
- Stone told the Associated Press. “He has no problem–and he’s cashed plenty of checks–with our show making fun of Christians.”
- Past episodes of South Park have skewered Catholics, Jews and Mormons, among others. Source